Sant Vicent de sa Cala is the smallest settlement on the island of Ibiza and is three kilometres west along a valley from the resort of Cala de Sant Vicent. The hamlet consists of several houses around a small rural church. Its church was built between 1827 and 1838. It has a double arched porch and sits in front of a tiny plaza contains a solitary palm tree. The façade is very plain except for a small plaque which states that the church is the ‘house of God and gate to heaven’.
La Cala is a resort in the isolated north-eastern part of the island. It is a relatively quiet and child-friendly bay with a wide sandy beach. The bay is enclosed by steep cliffs to the south and the ‘Sa Talaia’ which at its peak is 303 meters above sea level. The beach has clear, clean shallow waters.
There are many little trips you can do to the private island of Tagomago. You can also visit Es Culleram cave, not far from Sant Vicent’s town.
Cova des Culleram is on the hills above the resort, the cave plays a big part on the island History. These caves can be found on the steep rocky slopes of the Cas Rierons uplands between Cala de Sant Vicent and the village of Sant Vicent de sa Cala. The small cave system was an important place and lay at the heart of Punic religious life more than two thousand years ago. The caves were first inhabited by Bronze Age settlers around 1600 BC and later was made into a shrine by Carthaginian colonist around 500 BC until 300 BC. The Carthaginian came here to worship their deities Reshef and Melkart, after which the caves became a shrine to the goddess Tanit. The caves were rediscovered in 1907 when a series of excavations took place, the last being in 1981. These excavations, uncovered hundreds of offerings which had been placed in the dark recesses of the caves to honour the gods of the ancient world. Many of the objects recovered from the caves can be seen in the Archaeological Museum in Dalt Vila in Ibiza Town. On one side of the entrance to the cave there can be seen a cistern which has been cut into the rock. The water gathered here would have been used by the priests. Pilgrims who had made the trek here would have been ceremonially cleansed before entering the shrine.